Tuesday, May 30, 2017

What have you learned?

Last year for my 50th birthday, my family took me out to Red Robin. During the dinner, Dad asked me, "So what wisdom do you have to share from your 50 years?" I think he was being facetious, but I answered him anyway.

Be kind.
Do good things.
Be humble.

At the time there wasn't much thought involved. In fact Dad even dismissed my ideas. But later he came back and told me they were good words - important ideas. I wondered why those particular ideas escaped my mind. Were they really just off the top of my head? Were they just rambling thoughts? Or was there something more to them?

For the past nine months or so I've been pondering my words.

For a while I thought, "Surely I can come up with something better. I've lived for 50 years. There must be something more important I can come up with, something much more profound." I read the words of other great thinkers and wonder why I didn't come up with something like they said. I even wrote a book about living with less, being content, looking for significance in life.

But I keep coming back to these three ideas. I think this is what life is all about.

Be kind.
Even Jesus said this is important. "Love your neighbor as yourself." When I am kind to those around me, even those who don't deserve my kindness, I think I have a good chance of making the world a better place.

Do good things.
There's a longer saying; I think I may have either plagiarized the saying, or was just inspired by it:

“Do all the good you can. By all the means you can. In all the ways you can. In all the places you can. At all the times you can. To all the people you can. As long as ever you can.”  ― John Wesley

Be humble.
I hope I can recognize my strengths, but I don't ever want to think too highly of myself. I hope I've never treated people in such a way that makes them think I'm full of myself. I strive to be humble. I guess only my family and friends can tell me if I'm succeeding.

So during my next 50 years, I'll keep looking for wisdom. Maybe these three ideas will have changed when I reach 100 - but for now they are good words for me to live by.
Post a Comment