Sunday, March 5, 2017

Edward's Greenhouse

Yesterday a group of photographer friends went to Edward's Greenhouse for a photo field trip. I'm not a flower photographer. It's not that I can't shoot flowers - I just don't enjoy that subject matter. And there are other photographers in the camera clubs who are very talented in that arena. Even so, it's good to push my boundaries, to expand my comfort zone. And a friend assured me there was way more than just flowers there - and he was right.

I found more subjects to shoot than I had time for. I even discovered some fun in shooting flowers. There were textures and shapes and lines and it all just worked together so beautifully. In such a target rich environment, the trouble for me is finding where to start. Directly inside the front door is a room filled with small plants, tchotchkes, etc. I could have spent several hours just in that room alone. Normally when I get to a new place, I start by just walking around for a while, not shooting anything, just trying to take in all that is available. But on this day, I decided to just start shooting, to see what I might find.

For most of the day, I had an extension tube on the lens, giving me the ability to shoot macro. I don't shoot much macro normally, but given an opportunity like this greenhouse presented, how could I not? Plus, I prefer to take photos of details and small scenes. And with a macro lens - now that's pretty small.

I discovered that when shooting plants (and other things) in macro, many things become abstract. I like abstracts. They allow the viewer's mind to wander and wonder. The inevitable question is always: What is it? But with abstracts that a question I never answer.

Edward's Greenhouse Photo Album


Post a Comment