Sunday, July 17, 2016

Palouse 2016, Part 7

Fellow BCC member, friend, and amazing photographer Dan Mottaz and I decided to stay an extra day. While much of the membership was headed home, we were out exploring the countryside. We found some new places and revisited some places from the day before.

One of our first stops was an iconic barn and truck in the area. I'm sure I heard the name at some point, but I don't remember it now. We were told about it by several other photographers, including a professional who was in the area leading tours.

***
Side Note: For the most part, photographers are not protective of their favorite spots. We tend not to hold those spots as secrets. On the contrary, photographers tend to share their favorite spots. "We were just down by this old house. You have to check it out." Or, "If you ever go to ______ make sure you check out this one site. It's hard to find but worth the trip." I like being part of that kind of community.
***

Even though I've never stopped at this particular barn before, I've seen images of it before. Many of them look the same. Of course that's not surprising considering it's photographed thousands of times every year. The trick then is to find a new way to photograph something familiar. I'm not sure I accomplished that. I think I would need to go back and shoot it again to find something unique.



To differentiate my images from others I've seen, I converted to monochrome then played with the channels a bit. The truck, in color, is actually very orange. I think turning it to white adds a nice element of brightness and balance with the dark barn. My mom pointed out that the first images looks like the truck is pulling the barn. I like that connection between the two elements.

Our next stop was a hay field being harvested and baled by the farmer. Several years ago when I was in the area, there was no one there, but there were "No Trespassing" signs all over. I took some photos but didn't go in the field. Since the farmer was there, we pulled in to talk with him and ask permission to shoot. He was quite happy we were asking. "No one ever asks permission. They just trespass anytime they want. Thank you for asking."

I circled all the way around this crumbling looking for a good angle. I tried adding some foreground elements - weeds, flowers, etc. I tried landscape and portrait. I just couldn't photograph what I had in my mind. Some sites are like that. There's something there, something interesting that I think should be photographed, and yet I can't get it. I think sometimes it's best just to enjoy something and forget about photographing it. This image is the best I was able to create. I like the leading lines of the lumber and the triangle created by the collapsed building. And those fluffy clouds - just perfect against a dark sky.


On the same property is this old shed with a lifetime of treasures. Looking through the window I did several bracketed images so I could maximize the scene with HDR. I can't decide which of the three versions I like best. I think I prefer the center one, looking forward from the back end of the truck.




There was clear evidence of people having been in the garage. I wonder how many of those walked away with a stolen souvenir? If you find this property, please respect the "No Trespassing" signs and please stay out of the garage. This building should be around for decades so future photographers can enjoy it.

I don't remember the farmer's name, but thank you Mr. Farmer for letting us shoot your beautiful piece of property.


We wandered around for hours, just looking for something to shoot and usually finding something interesting down every road - like lone trees in the middle of a field.


I don't know why I would drive all the way to the Palouse to shoot macro, but when I found this weed I knew it deserved a macro shot.


In the next installment, we'll visit an old gas station.


Post a Comment