Saturday, July 2, 2016

Palouse 2016, Part 4

After the last location, the one with the stand of pines, we moved to the top of a hill that was apparently located directly in the jet stream. From the top we tried to photograph in hurricane force winds. I'm sure there was something to shoot there, but the harsh winds seemed to take away all my creativity. Instead of searching for interesting compositions, I was fighting to keep the camera steady and trying not to get blown over. Here's the only shot from that location that I like.

I like old trucks, and rusty farm equipment, and things that look like they've been ignored for decades.

Our next stop was an old homestead: The Old Weber House. According to Martha Mullen, in her book Reflections on the Road, "the house was the homestead of Jacob and Hulda Weber who came west by wagon train in 1876."
Although the house is long abandoned, the family still owns and farms the land. And they still live just a stone's throw away from this house.

Most of the time I avoid telephone poles and power lines. I suppose most photographers do also. When I do find poles and lines in the image, I clone them out. So I wondered, "How can I include those elements and use them effectively rather than avoid them?"


The house itself is so beautiful, forsaken, abandoned and yet also loved and admired. I was told the farmer would like to tear down the house, but his wife won't let him. Thank you Mrs. Farmer! I love your house.



In Part 5, we'll be moving to Steptoe Butte - an iconic viewpoint in the Palouse, located just a few minutes north of Colfax. I think I got some of my best images from the Butte. But for the very best images of the trip, you'll have to wait until the final part. I'm saving the best for last.

Post a Comment