Sunday, June 26, 2016

Palouse 2016, Part 1

My friend and fellow photographer Dan left Nampa at 6 am, headed for the Palouse area of Washington. Although it's about a six hour drive to Colfax, there's no way we would make it that quickly. We had stops planned along the way, and we knew there would be unplanned stops whenever a photographic opportunity presented itself. We'd be lucky if our trip were to take only ten or eleven hours.

These are some photos from that first day. Our first stop was New Meadows where we found this iconic pastoral scene.


Nearby we found some spectators, curious about these two photographers. I suppose this is a form of street photography. I captured these "people" just going about their lives.


If you're familiar with my photography, you know I like details - like a bit of moss on a fence post.


This doesn't look like much at first glance, but image is an example of forced perspective. The foreground plants are about three or four feet tall. The dead tree in the back is closer to fifty or sixty feet tall. By getting close to the ground, right in among the plants and shooting up, I create the illusion that the plants and tree are of similar size.


Although I like this old barn - I like old barns in general - this is an example of an image that just doesn't quite work. It's sort of interesting, but nothing special. It was good enough to be processed, but it won't ever be printed. I only share it here as a demonstration that I take a lot of unsuccessful photos.


This last image was mostly an experiment. My camera will shoot as fast as 1/32,000 of a second, which is pretty darn fast. The resulting motion freeze creates a scene we don't normally see. We can only see in real time. Freezing the motion of a waterfall shows the power of the water and intricacies of the movement. Sometimes waterfalls look best when they're shot for that silky smooth effect of long shutter speed. This one is intended to be crispy sharp.


Post a Comment