Wednesday, January 6, 2016

Thanksgiving Adventure, Part Two

In my younger days I believed that anything worth doing was worth doing myself. And if I couldn't do it myself, then it wasn't worth doing. I believed that asking for help was a sign of weakness, and who wants to admit weakness? Certainly not the young me.

When I got rheumatoid arthritis (RA), my perspective changed - not because I was experiencing personal growth, but because I was forced to change. I reached a point at which I wasn't able to help myself, in so many ways. I had to start asking for help, and people started noticing when I needed help, even without me asking. At first it was embarrassing, then it was uplifting, then it became humbling. I realized that I was surrounded by people who wanted to contribute to my life. They wanted to respect my new physical limitations and demonstrate how much they cared for me. Often, after helping me, my friends would thank me for the blessing I gave them by allowing them to help. Who does that?

Of course I also realized how much I agreed with them. When I was able to help other people, it made me so happy. I enjoyed the sense of satisfaction I received from giving to my friends and family.

Once again I find myself in need of assistance. You might think I would be more mature now and able to handle making myself vulnerable. It's still difficult to ask for help. If you read Thanksgiving Adventure you'll remember that I spent the holiday in the hospital. It's not where I would want to be; I'd much rather be eating too much food with the family. Thanksgiving dinner at the hospital - not so delicious.

The final bill for everything came to about $40,000. Is there anybody who actually pays that amount? Fortunately my insurance is covering most of that. My portion will be around $2000. A $38,000 savings is great, but the leftover is still a lot of money. So I'm asking for the help of my family and friends. I've created a way for my friends to help - if you are so inclined. Click on the link below (no pressure :) )

I know that whatever happens, it will all work out.

Thanksgiving Adventure Fund
Post a Comment