Monday, November 23, 2015

What Rivers Mean to Me

Outdoor Idaho does so much for photography in Idaho.


  1. Their shows are always produced so well, as evidenced by literally hundreds of awards
  2. They host a monthly contest on their Facebook page. Each month, for years now, photographers around Idaho have posted images to their page. The best images of the month are chosen as the Iconic Idaho photos. There are some really talented photographers here in Idaho, and Outdoor Idaho helps promote photography in Idaho.
  3. Outdoor Idaho solicits photo essays from their friends. I wrote and submitted an essay about what rivers mean to me, which is now published on their website.


After publishing my book, which was two years ago, I haven't done much writing. I've written a few things here and there, a blog entry or two, but nothing that requires much thoughtful consideration (as evidenced by how this blog sometimes rambles). I decided that in order to be a better writer, I obviously need to write more, and more intentionally.

As an adjunct professor for the NNU counseling program, I've been doing site visits at internship sites. I observe the intern in a session and evaluate them according to a rubric. I added a written summary of my impressions of each intern. It was an interesting exercise for me, to learn how to articulate each intern's strengths and weaknesses, without repeating myself in every summary.

I've been writing book reviews for the Chi Sigma Iota (CSI) Counselor's Bookshelf. The reviews are limited to 2500 characters, so I have to be clear and concise while still summarizing the value of each book for counselors. That's been a good writing exercise also.

I even wrote an essay on leadership for CSI. The entries will be evaluated and judged, and there will be a winner chosen. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

I even wrote a short story for the Boise Weekly contest - super short in fact. The story has to be exactly 101 words.

I have several ideas about future books, but those will be a long time in the making. I'll let you know when the next book is available.
Post a Comment