Friday, October 31, 2014

5 Day B&W Challenge, Day 1

Excuse my reposting. I'm trying to work out the best way to share my photos. I was challenged on FB (which you can read below), but didn't want to post there so I posted on g+, but now I'm thinking I should keep the sharing on my blog, which automatically uploads the photos to g+. Anyway, I'll be reposting the 5 days of the challenge. You can re-read them, or ignore them.


My friend, +Brandon Caldwell, challenged me to the 5 Day B&W Challenge. Although he posted the challenge on FB, I'm hesitant to post photos there; I can't explain exactly why, I just am.

So I'm posting here and I'll post a link there. Deciding which photos to post should have been simple, but it never seems to be for me.
Do I post a theme of photos?
Do I choose my best monochromes?

I decided to post 5 images that I haven't posted before (not that I can remember anyway). I'm sure someone has probably seen these at some point, but I don't think I've publicly shared them with my friends.

For Day 1: Multnomah Falls

I took this photo back in 1984, while I was in high school. The last time I was there, the falls were much lighter. I don't know if it was just the time of year, or if the falls seem to be experiencing a lower flow through the years.

I like this photo for several reasons.
1. I think the b&w conversion turned out nicely. I think the blacks and whites, highlights and shadow are each balanced nicely, and the contrast is just right for the subject.
2. I like the way the bridge moves out of the frame. I know there will be some (many? most?) who may disagree with me. I can hear the critique. "The bridge leads your eye out of the frame. There should be something there to hold the eye in." I disagree. I think having the bridge lead out of the frame implies motion and adventure, an opportunity to travel - either into or out of the frame. I like that.
3. I like the way the strong motion and brightness of the falls is balanced by the stationary darkness of the tree on the left edge. I'm sure there are hundreds of other compositional options available (and I've probably taken most of them), but I like this composition. I like the anchor in the lower left corner and the entry of the falls in the upper right.
4. Lastly, I like the grain in this image. This is a scan of a negative. Back in the old days, when I was in high school, we didn't have digital yet. There are some imperfections - like the white scratch coming from the top edge - and I could fix that. But I like those imperfections. They remind me of when I rolled and developed my own film, printed my own images. I remember the smell of the chemicals; I still like the aroma of stop bath.


Post a Comment