Saturday, January 4, 2014

New Year's Resolution, 2.0

Last year my only resolution was to make no resolution. I kept that resolution too, which means I failed my mission to not make any resolutions. Now my brain hurts.

In past years I've made resolutions, usually including the resolve to lose weight. But I'm still fat so none of them have ever worked. This year I decided to try something new. Early in the year I was perusing excel templates (exciting life I lead). I like spreadsheets. They're versatile, fun to use, appropriate for a lot of solutions. I wouldn't call myself an expert, but I able to do quite a few things with spreadsheets.

I stumbled across this template for a checklist and graph to track the progress. The person who made the template used it to track "101 Things in 1001 Days." I adapted it to "101 Things in 2014." Rather than make some broad, vague ideas about things I might want to accomplish in 2014 - which has never worked for me - I've decided on 101 specific things I want to do this year.

Some of them are health related, but no direct goal of losing weight. Instead I've made a goal based on number of hours I will spend exercising. It's much easier to track my progress. And I think if put in the time, I'll see results.

Some of my goals are small things: read this book or that book, take this class, write that article.
Some goals are photography related. Some are even musical.
But the key is: they are all specific goals.

I've already checked off several items, so I'm off to a good start.
Will I accomplish them all? Probably not. But I'm already better off than I was December 31, 2013.
Post a Comment