Thursday, December 5, 2013

I don't want to be just another noise.

One of my currently favorite songs is "Words" by Hawk Nelson.

Let the words I say
Be the sound of Your grace
I don't wanna say a word
Unless it points the world back to You

I wanna speak Your love
Not just another noise
I wanna be Your light
I wanna be Your voice


As I went through my period of forced silence, I had a number of profound revelations - for me - about talking, silence, and noise. I discovered that a lot of my words were just noise. I guess it was more a realization than a discovery. I realized I was talking too much. I realized I was saying unimportant things, irrelevant things, meaningless noise, just because I thought I needed to share my opinions at all times. I thought my ideas were so important - of course everyone wants to hear them.

How wrong I was. In my silence I realized the world was continuing just fine without my noise.

Now, as a counselor educator, I'm working with counseling interns. Many of whom are going to make amazing counselors. I've been so impressed with their skills, and their kind spirits. They care about their clients. I'v been trying to impart to them the importance of making their words meaningful. Kids have so much noise in their lives: music, TV, video games - it seems like constant stimulation.

They "listen" to noise from teachers all day long. Not that teachers are making noise, but students have learned to tune-out adults. As the school counselor, I didn't want to be just another noise. I wanted to be a meaningful sound.

So I'm trying to model that for my interns. I still want to be a meaningful sound in their lives.

And beyond the school and the university, I want to speak His love to the world. I want my words to be kind and respectful, warm and truthful, full of love. It's easier said than done, but I'm working on it, trying to move closer to the goal. I can't be Jesus, but I can show his love to my world.

Post a Comment