Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Family Time

Tuesday evenings are camera club meeting nights. I've enhanced my pre-meeting time by incorporating Taco Tuesday at Del Taco: 3 tacos for $1.15 (including tax), then a $1.06 for a sweet tea at McDonalds. Dinner and a drink for $2.21!

Sitting in Del Taco tonight, I noticed a family across the dining room: father, mother, teenage daughter. I was there for about 20 minutes total, and during that time none of the three ever put down their phone. Well, that's not entirely true. The father put down  his phone long enough to eat his taco.

They were all sitting 2 feet from each other, but none of them were there - none of them were present in the moment. I have to assume they were texting or emailing or playing games. Once in a while, one of them would look up and make a comment, one of the other people would respond, then they'd all go back to their phones.

I have a phone and I text. But my phone is usually in my pocket - not my hand.

Part of my desire for simplicity and contentment has been learning to live in the moment. I heard somewhere (can't remember where) that living in the past creates sadness and living in the future creates fear. Only by living in the present can I live in peace.

If you and I ever spend time together, I'll be present with you. I won't be checking my phone (or even answering my phone). I'll be talking with you, paying attention to you.

And I hope you'll pay attention to me.
Post a Comment