Saturday, November 17, 2012

Princess Bride as a Metaphor

The Princess Bride is one of my favorite movies. I've been watching it for 25 years. When it first came out, we watched as a group, those of us in the Hillsboro Nazarene Youth Group, usually at Dawn's house. We watched often enough that we had the movie memorized.

If you've watched the movie, you might remember the scene at the very end, when Grampa is getting ready to leave. He pats his pockets, his jacket, all the while repeating (or mumbling), "Okay ...... okay."

For years now I've done the same thing. When I get ready to leave the house, I pat my left pocket to make sure I have my phone, pat my right pocket to make sure I have my wallet and keys, pat other places to make sure I have glasses or hat or pen or grocery list, all the while mumbling to myself, "Okay ... okay ... alright ... okay." I crack myself up when I do it because I picture Grampa doing the same, which reminds me of the Princess Bride which reminds me of some of my favorite quotes, which makes me laugh, usually out loud. I love it so I do it every time I leave the house.

This last week I had an epiphany (I don't really know what that word means, but I've always wanted to use it). The Princess Bride has provided a loose metaphor for my life.

When I first started watching the movie, I pictured myself as Westley. I was young, good looking, adventurous (sort-of) and I imagined the day I would meet my princess "rescuing" her from her circumstances, making one of the top 5 kisses of all time.

Now, I'm Grampa. I read the books to kids, hoping to pass on some of the wisdom I've gained through life experience. I pat my pockets, I mumble, I love my kids, I love my family.

I suppose my next phase will be to morph into the King, Prince Humperdinck's father.
"Isn't that nice. She kissed me!"
Post a Comment