Sunday, October 28, 2012

Part 4: Untitled #37

Part 1: the wall
Part 2: sounds of silence
Part 3: canyon at sunset


To answer your first question, because I know you're thinking it, No, this is not photoshopped. I don't often talk about the technical side of my photos or the processing, but I'll share a little here. This image is SOOC (straight out of camera, for those who might not know that acronym). I bumped the contrast and strengthened the greens, but this is basically how the RAW image looks.

I like this because it creates questions. I'm not sure it meets my second criteria for a good photo: emotional response. But it's definitely confusing.

  • Why is the sky on the bottom? 
  • Why is the corn on the top?
  • Where are those power lines going? For that matter, where are they coming from?
  • How did you do this?

I hate to disappoint you ... I take that back. I'm happy to disappoint you in this circumstance; I'm not going to answer any of those questions.

This photo has several contrasting elements that I really like. The dark, dense, lush green and light, empty blue are so different. And yet, they balance each other. The photo should feel top-heavy, but it doesn't for me. There's also the contrast of solid, clearly defined black lines in the blue against the jumbled mass of green tones. And both of those are contrasted by the center portion of the image in which all the elements merge together for a while, creating a completely new element.

I like the one double-line moving horizontally across the lower half. I think it rhymes with the implied lines of the cornfield, which we know is planted in rows. Those horizontals connect the two halves of the image for me. The diagonal lines, which first lead out of the frame, then lead into the dark green, offer some energy. create some line for my eye to follow. I like that after following a clearly defined path, my eyes get lost in the field. Many of us have run through fields filled with tall corn, whether it's an actual working corn field or the ubiquitous Halloween corn maze. And if you haven't had that experience, let me suggest you try it.

The image works because it combines two elements we've all seen. But they're combined in a way that hasn't been seen before. It messes with my perception. I want to turn it upside down, follow the laws of gravity and restore order. But if I did that, the corn plants would be upside down, which makes me wonder all the more.

http://chrismcnaught.weebly.com/experimental.html
Post a Comment