Monday, August 20, 2012

Follow Up to: What's in a Photo

A friend of mine (thanks Cherish) posted a quote that made me ponder. It's still making me ponder; the meaning seems to get deeper the more I think about it.

"It's not who you are that holds you back, it's who you think you're not."

It begs the question then, who do I think I'm not?

I think I'm a decent photographer, but that's not holding me back from getting better, from improving my skill, my eye, my creativity. I think I'm not a great photographer, and that's what's holding me back. I don't think I'm just supposed to start thinking of myself as a great photographer, but maybe I am. In counseling I often talked with clients about changing their thinking and the benefits of a positive mindset. So maybe I should just start thinking, and even saying aloud, "I am a great photographer." I should start acting as if I am a great photographer and that will propel me toward greatness.

But this also means I need to do the work that great photographers do. If I'm going to act like a great photographer:
I need to get up early to catch the best morning light.
I need to scout out the right locations.
I need to educate myself on proper photographic technique.
I need to learn new ways to see and photograph.
I need to try things I've never tried before.
I need study great photos and great photographers then
I need to emulate the best photographers

More pondering necessary.
Post a Comment