Monday, June 18, 2012

It's Just Like Riding a Bike

I went to the golf course today - Broadmore Golf Club (formerly Broadmore Country Club). Having been sick for the last two weeks, I needed to get out of the house. I needed some activity ... other than walking to the mailbox.

Other than the scramble I played two weeks ago, I haven't played any golf in at least 4 years, and probably closer to 5 years. In case you're not familiar with golf, a scramble is a tournament in which four (or five) people play as a team, making one score for each hole. After all the players on a team tee off, the best shot is chosen, and everyone hits the next shot from there. Basically I wasn't playing real golf. Of course I was hitting shots and making putts, but there were four other guys doing the same. So if I didn't hit a good shot it didn't matter much. One of my partners would hit something better.

But playing today I played alone, meaning every shot counted. Of course it wasn't a tournament, but being a Rules Official, I play by the Rules, even when I'm alone on the golf course. I hit some good shots, some bad shots, made some putts, missed some putts. The last hole, #4, I hit my drive right down the middle, 200 yards. I was playing from the forward tees because I just can't hit the ball far any more. I was never a long hitter, but I averaged 260 or so, with the occasional long ball. I played 7 iron from 121 yards, into the wind, right to the center of the green. Those two shots were the best I've hit in a very long time. After two putts for par, I walked back up the hill. It was a good feeling to be back on the course, especially walking and carrying my clubs. Four holes was plenty (my bag feels heavier than I remember), but it was a good four holes.

I'll get out again soon. I might even play 5 or 6 holes next time.
Post a Comment