Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Water is My Friend

Yes, I have a long way to go.
Yes, I have a long time to get there.
(Why do those two lines remind me of a song?)
But, I'm making progress.

This morning, I was able to swim one full lap, face down, doing the crawl stroke. Now I'm sure it wasn't pretty, but I'm pretty sure I didn't look like the guy next to me (which is a good thing). As I've been swimming, and learning TI Swimming technique, I've begun noticing other swimmers. The guy in the lane next to me this morning is a better swimmer than me (for now). But I think my technique is improving. He looked awkward. On each right hand stroke, he would lift his head up, then turn to the side, then put his head back down.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not making fun of him, or his technique. Unlike me, he is able to swim across the pool, using a crawl stroke, multiple times. By noticing these other swimmers, I'm trying to use their technique to improve my own. Obviously I can't see myself, but I think I'm improving. I'm getting better at turning my head (without lifting it), and this morning I was even able to start breathing on both sides, every third stroke (awkward as it currently is).

This was an encouraging morning, enough so that I think by February I might be able to swim at least part of the half-mile swim (in the triathlon) using the crawl stroke. I've also been practicing my patented move: the roll over from front crawl to back stroke (no official name for it yet). When I get water in my nose, or feel like I'm not getting enough breath, I just roll over and keep swimming, using the back stroke. When I feel comfortable, I take a deep breath and roll back into the crawl stroke.

I'm also practicing holding my breath, while I'm swimming. I swam nearly half the length of the pool while holding my breath. And, I felt pretty relaxed while doing it.

On another fitness front, I'm getting used to my new diet. Soon it will just be a way of life, instead of diet.
Post a Comment