Tuesday, October 11, 2011

The Next Step

I can't say I'm hooked, but after competing in my first triathlon, I definitely want to do another. Although I'm not sure I'd call what I did "competing." Participating is probably more accurate, especially since I finished 3rd to last. Not that I'm discounting my performance. For the shape I'm in, and this being my first event, I was just happy to finish.

The Rec Center is hosting a longer event in February: 1/2 mile swim, 10 mile bike, 4 mile run. So now I'm training for that event. Today I walked to the Rec Center (a little over a mile), biked 10 miles, lifted weights, swam 1/2 mile (first time I've done that), then walked home. I did the swim in about 40 minutes, the bike in about 40 minutes, and I'm guessing I can do the 4 mile walk in about 90 minutes.

On the water front, I'm trying to become a better swimmer. I don't know why, but it freaks me out to put my face in the water. I wouldn't call it panic, but it's definitely an issue. So I'm taking baby steps (or baby splashes). I bought a snorkel, and today was able to keep my face in the water for about a minute, long enough for my breathing to go from near-hyperventilating to merely panting. My goal? I'm not sure. I just want to get over this irrational fear and be able to swim like a real person.

I'm not sure how much faster I'll be able to do any of these events. My RA limits how quickly I can move. But, by February I should be 30 pounds lighter, and my cardiovascular fitness should be significantly better by then.
Post a Comment