Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Health Update #47

(Yes, I realize the last update was #43, so I skipped 44, 45 and 46. I like prime numbers.)

The results of all the testing two weeks ago were back today, and Dr. Zuckerman delivered the news.

  • Bone Marrow Biopsy: Normal, even at the genetic level. Apparently there's a genetic marker for cancer, called the "FTP1L1/PDGFRa gene rearrangement." In my bone marrow there was no evidence of this, which is a good thing.
  • Echocardiogram: Normal
  • Pulmonary Function: This test showed the only abnormality. Apparently I've had asthma and never known it. When I was a teenager I had a couple of asthmatic episodes, but since then I've never been bothered. I know that if my heart rate gets above 155, I can't take a full breath. So I wear a heart rate monitor when I exercise and keep the rate below 150.
  • CT Scans: Normal. Actually, the test results show "Unremarkable" which might be a blow to my ego, but is good news health-wise. One of the test even reports that I'm "grossly normal." I don't know what that really means, but I'm going to take it as a compliment.
The eosinophylia (high count of a white blood cell subset) is apparently a result of the arthritis. Everything else has been ruled out. So now it's up to my rheumatologist to find something that will work.
Post a Comment