Wednesday, July 27, 2011

What to do, what to do?

Thinking about what my future holds - career-wise - it seems there are always options.

I could become a Walmart Greeter. Maybe my skills as a counselor could somehow work into the greeting process. "Good morning and welcome to Walmart. By the look on your face, you seem to be having a tough morning. Is there anything I can do to help? I have a private office right over here."

For the longest time, I've had a talent for organizing things. Coupled with my recent experience of simplifying my life and eliminating clutter, I think I could provide a valuable service to other people looking to de-clutter and organize. I'm not ready to start a business, advertise and stuff like that. But maybe through word of mouth my availability to help will spread.

Private practice counseling is a possibility. I've had people in Twin Falls suggest that I would be a valuable counseling asset in the Magic Valley. I don't know how many counselors there are who are Christian, and male, but I'm guessing the number is small. I think the church I attended could offer some referrals, and maybe even a site. There seem to be some possibilities here in the Treasure Valley too. The trick is in finding the right counseling center to work in, and the right people to work with.

Provided I get a doctoral degree, I could become a counselor educator. Of course with $40,000 in student loans, pursuing another degree doesn't seem to be the prudent thing. Plus, I'm not sure I'm healthy enough to put sufficient energy into a degree.

Maybe I could mow lawns, or work at a golf course. Sitting on a mower, with the noise that drowns out the whole world - sometimes that seems like a good job. When I was a golf pro I would sometimes help the maintenance crew, mowing the rough. I could spend 8 hours just sitting on the mower, going round and round. I enjoyed it.

I could always accept a position as Presidential consultant. The past 3 presidents have asked me to work with them, advising them on the most important issues. I'm in very high demand.

The next step is going to be interesting, that's for sure.
Post a Comment