Friday, April 1, 2011

Mr. Focus Group

I think I belong on a focus group, a group that watches commercials before they air to see if they're effective, or tv show pilots, that kind of stuff.

Some commercials just play and are easily ignored. Some shows are just good for background noise, best "watched" while washing the dishes, cleaning the kitchen, doing laundry, etc. Other commercials and shows instantly access my emotions. Since becoming a counselor, I've become much more in touch with my emotions, and much easier to cry, or laugh. I think since being diagnosed with RA, my emotional regulator has become much less efficient. It's way too easy for my emotions to bubble to the surface, and too often burst out of control.

When I watch a good commercial, I get emotional; tears start forming at the corners of my eyes. I hate doing that, but it's pointless to try to stop it, so I just go with it. Sometimes, when I realize the emotions are coming - even the sad ones - sometimes it makes me laugh. I'm sitting here by myself, so no one else is here to watch me laugh and cry at the same time. I'm the only one to see the humor in the situation, especially one brought on by a stupid commercial for some product I can't even recall.

So I would be a great focus group member. If your commercial is good, you'll know by my reaction. If it sucks, I'll just tell you.
Post a Comment