Saturday, March 12, 2011

A New Journey

I recently received a message from a good friend who will be teaching a Sunday School lesson on the parables of Matthew 13. If you don't remember them, go read it here.

Reading Matthew 13, I was struck by something:
"But the plants soon wilted under the hot sun, and since they didn’t have deep roots, they died."
"But since they don’t have deep roots, they don’t last long."

I think maybe I have the right word for how I've been feeling: uprooted. I was established in Wendell, firmly planted in a job and career I love. My roots were becoming ever more solidly established, in my church, in the Wendell community, in the schools. Then God uprooted me. I may be planted back in familiar surroundings (living behind mom and dad, next door to Susan, around friends and family), but my roots aren't here. I have no roots and I'm wilting.

But that leads me to realize, my roots shouldn't be in my job or a place, or relationships. My roots should be in God, need to be in God. He has taken so much from me: health, income, voice, possessions. All the while I keep wondering why. I wonder what more is there to take?

I think this move from Wendell to Nampa, from school counselor to unemployed, from influential to voiceless, has taken my support to show me that I've been depending on the wrong things.

So now, maybe, I have a direction for my next journey. My task seems clear: structure my life, my thoughts, my prayers, my career my relationships, so that they are centered around my roots: my relationship with Jesus.

I need to make sure my root system is in Jesus, and only Jesus. Certainly there are strong branches in my life, and healthy plants all around me. But my roots are not in those temporary things. My roots are in the eternal.

A new journey begins.
Post a Comment