Monday, February 2, 2009

25 Random Things About Me

I was recently tagged on Facebook. I thought I'd post these random things here also.

1. I once shot 64 in a golf tournament. That’s 8 under par. It was incredibly easy. The hole seemed as big as a barrel, so every putt dropped. Once in a lifetime score, at least for me.
2. I once shot 29 on nine holes, at Luana Hills Country Club in Hawaii. This was my back nine: par, birdie, eagle, birdie, birdie, birdie, par, birdie, par.
3. When I load paper into the printer, I have to make sure that the new paper goes under the old paper. It wouldn’t be fair for the new paper to go on top. The old paper would feel left out and unused.
4. People who refuse to put shopping carts into the parking lot corrals the right way shouldn’t be allowed to shop. How hard is it to take an extra 20 steps and put the cart away? And put it in straight? My OCD tendencies (no, I’m not diagnosed) can’t walk by the corral without straightening the carts.
5. I’ve only owned 3 vehicles my entire life. I got a 1966 Volkswagen Bug when I was 14. I had it until 3 years ago. I bought a 1989 Ford Ranger with 25,000 miles on it. I sold it a year ago with 230,000 miles. Now I own a 1995 Ford Ranger. I wonder how long it will last.
6. I am an award winning Photographer, having won multiple ribbons in the Twin Falls County Fair. However, that streak is probably over. I was so disappointed in last year’s judging, I won’t be entering any photographs this year. I’m pretty sure the judges had never actually seen a photograph before the fair.
7. I am President-Elect of the Idaho School Counselor Association Conference. In July of this year I will officially be President. It was a landslide win when I ran for office. I ran unopposed.
8. As of my last count, I own 471 things, which includes: 2 forks (yes, only 2), 2 dogs, 1 truck, 1 house, a couch, and 11 pairs of socks.
9. I was featured on “The Story with Dick Gordon,” a American Public Media syndicated radio show.
10. I did NOT watch the Superbowl. I don’t own a TV (see #8).
11. I know I should, but I don’t know how to “deep clean” the bathroom. It’s lucky to get a bleach bath once in a while.
12. I love to play online poker on Full Tilt Poker, play chips only. Starting with the free 1000 chips, my bank is currently at 1.1 million.
13. Photography is my passion. I’m not really artistic or creative in any other way.
14. I can recite the alphabet backwards, as quickly as Bruce James. And to take his challenge of a more useless talent, I can sing the alphabet backwards.
15. The kids at school usually call me Mr. M. The Younger kids (1st or 2nd grade) find out that my “real name” is McNaught, they think they’ve discovered some secret.
16. At the end of February, I’ll be speaking at the Washington School Counselor Association conference in Seattle.
17. Since I couldn’t find anything that worked for me, I developed a spreadsheet to track my school counseling activities. I copyrighted the spreadsheet, and have been sharing it with school counselors across the country (hence, #16).
18. I dream every night, and usually remember most of my dreams. I’ve rarely had a week go by without flying in a dream. It always seems so easy in the dream that I wake up wondering why I can’t do it in real life. I dream about one group of friends more than any other: my elementary school friends from Overland Park, Kansas. Although I haven’t had any contact with them in more than 30 years, I dream about them all the time. Especially Ann Rinella.
19. Some part of me really wants to BASE Jump off the Perrine Bridge.
20. I find most issues to be gray, not black and white.
21. I had my first girlfriend when I was 7. She was an older “woman;” I think she was 9. Ellen lived up the street from me in Oakland, New Jersey. We used to hide behind the bushes and decide if we were going to “short kiss or long kiss.” The long ones lasted as much as 5 seconds. Her best friend, who’s name I can’t remember, married us in Ellen’s backyard. Since I was the son of a minister, I told her what words to say. “Dearly beloved, we are gathered here today in the sight of these trees and bushes …”
22. I think voting in the Presidential election in Idaho is meaningless. If I vote Republican, it’s like adding one more grain of sand to a beach. If I vote Democrat, it’s like taking one grain of sand away from the beach. Either way, the beach is still there and dominates the landscape.
23. I’m 42 years old and I’ve never had a cavity.
24. Before I graduated from high school in Hillsboro, Oregon, and before they built the new hospital, I had been in every bed in the emergency room.
25. My middle name is Cecil. I’m named after both my grandfathers. Cecil is my mom’s dad’s middle name, and my dad’s dad’s first name.
Post a Comment