Thursday, January 1, 2009

What's In Store for 2009?

As the year changes, I like to look back on the previous year, and forward to the next.
What happened last year that was productive? How can I continue that?

What happened last year that was a waste of time and energy? How can I replace that?

Where do I want to be a year from today?
Who do I want to be a year from today?

My 500 Things
Although I've reached that goal, I can see that the process is not complete. I don't have a number in mind anymore. To set one at this point would be ... ... ... pointless? irrelevant? meaningless? arbitrary? futile? I don't know what word I want there.

It seems that the number has become less important than the process and the meaning. 500 was a good starting point. It forced some "sacrifice" and some sincere examination of importance, use and meaning of the things I own. Now, that process has become habit. I often look at the things sitting on my desk, or in my bookshelf, and think, "Now why do I have that? Oh yes, I remember."

It also forces me to look at purchases. Before I buy something I scrutinize the purpose of the purchase.

In 7th grade English at Wendell Middle School, Heather Annis (the teacher) had the kids write biographies of their grandparents. Some kids either didn't have grandparents, or didn't have access to them. Other adults were brought in as surrogate grandparents. I got to be the surrogate grandfather for two kids. It was very fun.

One of the kids quoted me as saying, "When I die, I hope the clothes I'm wearing are my only possessions."

I think that pretty much sums up the goal from here.
Post a Comment