Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Financial Update 2008

Although it's been a long time (it's getting close to 10 years now), at one point in my adult life I was in financial trouble. More specifically, credit card trouble. I wanted to be the one to pay for dinner, to buy my family and friends nice gifts. I did not want to admit or recognize that I'm not a millionaire. Everything went on credit cards and soon the debt was more than I could handle. How did it get so out of control?

I made a decision to take control of the situation, and my finances. I cleared it up.

When I moved to Twin Falls, I used my house to pay off the last of the debt. Now, four and half years later, I still have no credit card debt. Yes, I use it, but I pay it off. I recently received the last bill for 2008. I owed $19.20, which I paid in full (rather than paying the $10 minimum payment). My only debts are my mortgage and my student loans. I do owe my parents, in my mind at least. They've been kind enough to write-off what I owe. But I've kept track and I hope to pay them back one day.

If I could pay off my student loans ($40,000 worth), I'd be so happy. It should only take me about 107 years to pay it off.

I have a goal this year for saving more money. I've set a goal, I have a plan, and I hope to have that much in savings by this time 2009. It does help that I don't buy as much as I used to. Gas and food are still expensive, and I spend way too much on medical, but I have enough for today.

I recently finished a great book, So You Don't Want to Go to Church Anymore. I'll write more about that in the Spirituality Update section, but one character in the book says that God does not promise to get me through the year, or the month, or the week. He doesn't promise to make the money last through the end of the month. He does promise to get me through today. There will be enough for today: enough money, enough energy, enough family, enough friends, enough time. I guess I can't really ask for more.
Post a Comment