Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Some Goals - NOT Resolutions - For 2008

I've decided there are some things I want to do in 2008, but they are NOT resolutions. I would call them goals.

According to the dictionary, a resolution is: determining upon an action or course of action.

A goal is: the result or achievement toward which effort is directed; aim; end.

Clearly there is a major difference between the two.*

So here are some of my goals for 2008.

1. I am going to study the book of Philippians for the entire year. I have always liked this book, mostly because it contains some of my favorite verses, also because it was Gramma McNaught's favorite book, and because I like the tone of it. I like the way Paul talks in it.
Here's my plan:
For the month of January, I'm going to read the whole book every day. It takes about 12 minutes to read it. I'm not going to look for anything in particular; I'm just going to read. Starting in February, I'm going to start memorizing the book.
During the rest of the year, I'll study it using different Bible studies.

2. I am going to walk 1000 miles during 2008. That sounds like a lot, but it's only 20 miles per week. On school days I can walk 3 miles before school. During the weekends, 6 miles per day. My dogs love going for walks in the morning. No matter the time, no matter the weather, they're ready.

3. Gold's Gym (I'm a member there) is having their annual 12 week challenge. Weigh-in is this Saturday. I'm going to register this year to see how much closer I can get to achieving a healthy weight during those 12 weeks. I'm not going to be one of those who works out 3 hours a day; I don't have the time or the energy. But I do have time, energy and commitment to work out 30 minutes per day.

4. I'm also going to start attending the Spinning classes again. I love that workout. Sixty minutes on a bike, listening to music, sweating. It's a great way to spend an hour.

5. I'm going to take more photographs this year. I took a lot in 2007, but lately I haven't felt very creative, so I haven't hardly picked up the camera. I'm going to change that.

6. Lastly, I'm going to write more. I've been writing on my flickr photo site, short stories to go with the photos. Some are directly related to the photo, some have nothing to do with the pic at all. I'll continue writing there. I'll write here on this blog (probably not everyday, but hopefully at least once a week). And I'll write stuff that no one will ever see except me.

*(If you can explain the difference, please do because I'm not really sure what it is.)
Post a Comment