Saturday, October 27, 2007

My Store

This morning I consolidated some stuff, shrinking the list by a few items. Soon after I started the process, I realized that I had a lot of clothes. Not like some people who need 4 closets, plus the storage for winter clothes, spring clothes, summer clothes, fat clothes, etc. I had more clothes than I really needed.

In the summer of 2006 I spent a month in Puebla, Mexico in a Spanish immersion program. I lived with a family for the month I was there. I was not going to take down a month's worth of clothes, so I took about 10 days worth, knowing I could do laundry once/week.

This summer, as I was looking at a closet full of clothes (full, not stuffed or overflowing), I wondered why I needed so many clothes. 10 days worth was just fine. I went through my closet, removing about half the clothes. I went through the sock drawer, leaving about 2 weeks worth, underwear drawer, again 2 weeks worth, t-shirts, golf shirts, pants.

I took the "extra" clothes and put them in a storage bin, actually two bins. On my list they counted as two things. I know what you're thinking, "That's cheating. If you have 100 things in the box, it has to count as 100 things, not just one or two."

Well, it's my list and I can count however I want.

Seriously though, I do have a rational for my store. Everything in "my store" is something that I currently own, which will wear out eventually, and which I will want/need to replace. At some point, my socks and underwear will wear out. I'll need to replace them. At some point my t-shirts will move past the comfortable, lived-in look and become ratty and over-used. I'll need new t-shirts. Same thing goes for golf shirts, pants, etc.

When I realized I had too many clothes, I didn't want to just donate them somewhere. I have some really nice things. They fit fine and I like them; I just don't need them right now.

When the need to be replaced, I can go to my store rather than a retail store. I figure I'm being fiscally responsible and environmentally conscious. When I replace that pair of shoes, it won't cost any money, and I won't be using any additional resources.

Keep in mind, this is not just a storage bin from which I can retrieve an item any time I'm tired of my wardrobe. I have committed to only using the items in the to replace something. Eventually the store will be empty, but that could take 3 or 4 years. I'm not hard on clothes or shoes, and I don't mind wearing things that show some wear and tear.

Here's what's in my store:
1 pair PING cart gloves
6 golf hats
1 bandana
19 golf shirts
10 dress shirts
3 long sleeve t-shirts
1 pair jeans
1 pair golf spikes, with cedar shoe tree
1 pair teaching shoes (golf shoes w/o the spikes) also w/shoe tree
1 pair dress shoes w/st
1 pair Nike running shoes w/st
7 t-shirts
6 undershirts
15 pair unders
11 pair socks
2 pair shorts
3 pair dress pants
2 pair golf shorts
1 pair corduroys
5 tooth brushes
10 dozen golf balls
6 golf gloves
1 bag of golf tees

It's about 100 things.
Post a Comment